Thursday, 24 September 2026

The Opportunity I Almost Didn’t Take: Naomi Wanjiru on Learning to Bet on Herself.

 Sometimes, an opportunity does not arrive with a grand announcement. Sometimes, it is simply a link shared in a WhatsApp group.

That is how Naomi Wanjiru, a Tribe Leader at Tribe Thando, came across Inspire Her Afrika. What caught her attention was the opportunity to join a women’s initiative centred on mentorship, a community built around women growing, supporting one another, and creating meaningful impact. She decided to take the chance.

What followed was more than a mentorship experience. IHA challenged some of Naomi’s ideas about growth and success, gave her space to explore passions she had previously kept at a distance, and taught her that rejection does not have to be the end of the road.

What made you decide to apply for IHA?

Someone shared the application link in a group I was in, and I immediately became interested. What caught my attention was that it was a women’s initiative that offered mentorship. I have always loved women, seeing them win, grow, and support one another, so the opportunity spoke to something that was already within me.

Interestingly, by the time I saw the opportunity, I had already made a promise to myself: I would start taking chances on opportunities that came my way. So, I decided to apply. I remember reading the application instructions carefully. One thing that stood out to me was the encouragement to be authentic and avoid using AI. The application was lengthy and required a lot of introspection. It was not something I could simply fill out quickly.

I genuinely wanted to get in, so I put my best effort into answering the questions honestly and thoughtfully. I had to sit with myself, reflect on my experiences, and articulate things about myself that I had not always taken the time to examine. And then I got in.

What did IHA challenge you to rethink about yourself?

Looking back, I think IHA challenged me in ways that went beyond mentorship. Before joining, I was quite rigid in some of my beliefs, particularly about what growth and success were supposed to look like. My version of growth was very school-guided. I believed in studying, getting qualifications, following the expected path, and eventually arriving at some clearly defined destination.

But I have realised that growth is much bigger than that. I am learning to embrace my passions more openly and, more importantly, to turn those passions into action. I am allowing myself to explore the things that genuinely excite me, including my interest in law, women and girls’ empowerment, mentorship, and creating meaningful impact. I am no longer waiting until I have everything perfectly figured out before I give those interests room to grow. That is something I am genuinely proud of myself for.

When did you realise, “Maybe I actually belong here”?

One of the moments I thought, “Maybe I actually belong here,” was during our Tribe meetings. I love women. I love seeing women win, and I love interacting with women, hearing their stories, and learning from their experiences. Being part of a community where women could connect, encourage one another, and simply show up as themselves was incredibly fulfilling. I realised that I was not just participating in the programme; I was part of a community that aligned with something deeply important to me.

Meeting my mentor was another special moment. When we first e-met, it felt like an immediate “I’m home” moment. We clicked almost instantly. I have grown to love her and genuinely look forward to our sessions. What I appreciate most is the way she gives feedback and corrects me with so much grace. She challenges me while still making me feel supported, and that has made the mentorship experience particularly meaningful.

What has taking a chance on yourself taught you about rejection?

IHA has also changed how I think about rejection. I have learnt that a “no” should not be the end of my pursuit. A rejection does not mean that I am not good enough or that I am not worthy of a chance. Sometimes, it is simply a cue to keep looking for what works for me.

There will be opportunities that do not work out. There will be doors that remain closed. But that does not mean I stop knocking. I apply again. I look elsewhere. I keep moving. Most importantly, I have learnt that I have to bet on myself first before expecting other people to take a bet on me.

What would you tell the version of yourself who was hesitant to take the opportunity?

If I could speak to the girl who was about to apply, I would tell her: Apply anyway. And if you are rejected, apply for another opportunity. A “no” is not a reflection of your worth. It is not proof that you are incapable. It is simply a reminder to keep searching for the place, opportunity, or community that is right for you. There is so much better ahead of you, so take the chance.

Sometimes, what looks like a small decision to fill out an application can open the door to a version of yourself you had not yet met. For me, Inspire Her Afrika was that opportunity; and I am grateful that I chose to bet on myself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment