For Aminat Shittu, a Tribe Leader at Tribe Amara, graduating from Obafemi Awolowo University felt like the beginning of a straightforward journey into the professional world. She had the academic credentials, the confidence, and the determination to take on whatever came next. But stepping into the world of work taught her something school could not: knowing what to do is not always the same as knowing how to navigate the spaces where you have to do it.
Through
Inspire Her Afrika, Aminat is learning to be more intentional about her career,
manage her commitments, navigate professional spaces, and understand that
building a career is not about trying to be everywhere at once.
What is one thing about navigating your
career that school never prepared you for?
I have
always prided myself on being a top-notch early-career starter who would take
on the world whenever and however I wanted to. Why? I graduated from the best
‘Oba Awon University’, OAU. I always thought my time in school had already
prepared me to become the best among my peers, ace interviews, and show the
world what I was made of. The truth and reality couldn’t be further apart. Yes,
I graduated from one of the best universities in Nigeria. However, I still
wasn’t much different from my peers from institutions of the same calibre.
While my knowledge of what was expected to enter professional spaces was
top-notch, navigating those spaces was the real question, whose answer kept
lurking until I stumbled upon the IHA Mentorship Programme.
Early-career
starters can be compared to young seedlings needing adequate sunlight, water,
pruning, weeding, and delicate attention to bloom, lest they wither before they
are able to flourish. I never knew that you didn’t need to be everywhere as an
early-career starter, but rather be intentional about your path and then
research the necessities to get there.
What professional skill have you developed
through IHA that you didn’t realise you needed?
I thought
being able to juggle several commitments was what I needed, a trait that had
been imbued in me since my school days. So, fresh out of school, I wanted to
juggle multiple things, hoping one would stick and then make everything better.
Time
management was also one of those things I thought I had mastered until reality
dawned and the checks needed balancing. I began to realise that being busy is
not necessarily the same as being productive. Sometimes, the more important
skill is knowing what deserves your attention and being intentional about where
you put your energy.
How has IHA changed the way you see yourself
professionally?
After an intense introverted phase, the community of young women seeking answers about their career paths not only drew me out of my shell but also
motivated me to keep striving.
Being
surrounded by women who were also learning, asking questions, and figuring out
their own paths reminded me that I did not have to have everything figured out
at once. IHA has also taught me lessons I could not have learnt simply
by graduating from university. The programme has provided several mastery
sessions on imposter syndrome, moving beyond the first role, and
entrepreneurship, among other topics. These sessions have helped me think
beyond simply getting a job. They have encouraged me to think about how I show
up, how I grow, and how I intentionally build the professional life I want.
What are you learning about building a career
beyond what is written on your CV?
I am
learning that a CV can show what you have done, but it cannot tell the whole
story of who you are becoming. Academic achievements and qualifications matter,
but they are only part of navigating the professional world. You also need to
understand yourself, communicate effectively, build relationships, manage your
time, and be intentional about the direction you want your career to take. I am
learning not to confuse doing more with moving forward.
Sometimes,
growth means saying no to things that do not align with your path. Sometimes,
it means slowing down enough to understand what you actually want. And
sometimes, it means stepping outside your comfort zone and allowing yourself to
be seen.
What is one thing you wish more young African
women were taught before entering the professional world?
I wish
more young African women were taught that graduating from university is not the
end of learning.
There is
so much to learn once you enter professional spaces, things that may never
appear in a lecture hall or on an examination paper. You have to learn how to
navigate people, opportunities, expectations, uncertainty, and even yourself. I
am still learning these things myself. But perhaps that is the point. I entered
IHA thinking I needed to prove that I was already prepared for the professional
world. I am leaving the experience with a better understanding that preparation
is not a destination. There is always more to learn, more to unlearn, and more
room to grow.
And
beyond the CV, I am learning how to become the professional
and the woman I want to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment