When Maureen Irene first joined Inspire Her Afrika, she was working her nine-to-five, navigating her routines, and trying to figure out what the future would look like. She knew there were things she wanted for herself, but some of them felt distant.
Today, through mentorship, community, and her experience as a Tribe Leader in Tribe Amara, Maureen is beginning to see herself differently. She is becoming more confident, intentional, organised, and, most importantly, more willing to create opportunities rather than wait for them. We had a chat with Maureen about her journey as a mentee and Tribe Leader, the confidence and leadership she is discovering in herself, and how the programme is helping her become more intentional about creating opportunities and the woman she is becoming.
Who were you when you first joined Inspire Her Afrika, and who are you becoming now?
When I first joined Inspire Her Afrika, my life felt fairly ordinary. I was working my nine-to-five, going through my routines, and trying to figure out what the future would look like. I knew there were things I wanted for myself, but there were also obstacles that made some of those things feel distant. I was not necessarily lacking ambition; I simply had not fully understood how much I was capable of.
I joined Inspire Her Afrika because I saw it as a platform where young women could grow, learn, connect, and become more intentional about their lives. I wanted to be part of a community that would challenge me to become better, and I did not realise how much I would discover about myself in the process.
What is one belief about yourself that has changed since joining the programme?
One of the biggest changes I have experienced is confidence. I have become more confident in my ability to learn, lead, and pursue things that once felt beyond my reach.
There was a time when I would look at certain opportunities and think, “Maybe I am not qualified for this,” or assume that some things were simply not meant for me. I am beginning to understand that being qualified is not always about already having everything figured out. Sometimes, it is about being willing to learn, take initiative, and permit yourself to try.
Has there been a skill or quality you once thought you lacked that you’re now beginning to see in yourself?
My experience as a Tribe Leader made this especially clear. I did not initially see myself as someone who naturally possessed leadership qualities. But as tasks were assigned to us, I had to organise my tribe members, communicate, coordinate, and make sure that we moved forward together.
We completed the tasks we were given, and at the end of the boot camp, receiving my certificate was one of the moments when I felt genuinely proud of myself. I was proud not only because I had completed the programme, but because I had shown myself that I could lead my tribe and see something through to the end.
What has your mentor or tribe helped you discover about yourself?
My mentor, Anne Mwangi, has also helped me see opportunities differently. One thing I am beginning to understand is that I do not always have to wait for someone else to create an opportunity for me. There are needs around me that remain unaddressed and problems people are still seeking solutions to. I can help create those solutions. I can create opportunities for myself by recognising problems, developing the skills I need, and having the courage to start.
My tribe has reinforced that mindset. It has taught me that challenges do not automatically mean I should stop. Sometimes, I simply need to find another way forward. I have also become more intentional with my time. Balancing my nine-to-five with IHA responsibilities, personal development, and courses I had previously left unfinished has taught me the importance of organisation. I have completed courses that had been pending while still managing my work and other responsibilities. I am learning that growth does not always require having more time; sometimes, it requires making better use of the time and resources I already have.
If someone met you before IHA and met you again today, what difference would they notice?
If someone who knew me before IHA met me today, I think they would notice that I am more organised, intentional, and confident. But more importantly, I think they would see a woman who is more willing to take initiative. The woman I am becoming is someone I want my younger self to be proud of. She is willing to take initiative, intentional with her time and resources, courageous enough to pursue opportunities that may not yet exist, and determined to create solutions where she sees a need. I am still becoming her. But I am no longer waiting for permission to begin.
See What Happens When African Women Stop Waiting for Solutions?
What happens when African women stop waiting for solutions and start creating them? You’re about to find out. Join us at the IHA Annual Pitch Fest: Solutions for Afrika by African Women. Watch young African women from the Inspire Her Afrika Mentorship Program pitch bold ideas and impactful projects they’ve built to solve real problems across the continent. They’ll take the stage, share their vision, compete for project awards, and spark a new wave of innovation.
Date: Saturday, 12th September 2026
Time: 12:00 PM WAT
Venue: Live on Zoom
Come to support, get inspired, and you might just discover the next big idea worth investing in.
Register here: https://luma.com/vmetc76b

No comments:
Post a Comment