“Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.”
We’ve all heard the saying. But what happens when the “crown” is not
just a title, but a responsibility to show up for other people, make decisions,
and lead even when you are still figuring things out yourself? For Fatima
Muhammad Bashir, a Tribe Leader from Tribe Ewa, leadership
during the Inspire Her Afrika Mentorship Programme has been as much about
learning as it has been about leading. When Fatima first joined IHA, she
thought she knew what mentorship looked like. She had experienced it before
during a web development programme, so she came into the programme with some
idea of what to expect. But IHA had other plans. We had a chat with Fatima
about her experience as a mentee and Tribe Leader, the unexpected lessons she
is picking up along the way, and how the programme is helping her think
differently about her career and herself.
Looking back at when you first joined IHA, what do you wish you had
known then?
When I first joined Inspire Her Afrika, I thought I already understood
what mentorship looked like. I had experienced mentorship before during a web
development programme, so I came into IHA with some idea of what to expect.
However, I quickly realised that IHA offered a different kind of mentorship. At
IHA, mentorship went beyond completing a project. It opened conversations about
CVs, job searching, personal branding, financial management, and how to
position myself for opportunities. My mentor is Nigerian and currently works
overseas, and we both have healthcare backgrounds. She also works in public
health, which made it easier for us to connect and for her to understand my
interests and career goals. Her experience also gave me a broader perspective
on the possibilities within public health.
What is one opportunity you took during the programme that pushed you
outside your comfort zone?
Interestingly, I think the journey started during the boot camp, even
before the mentorship itself began. At that point, I did not know anyone in the
programme. I was meeting women from different places and backgrounds for the
first time, and that pushed me outside my comfort zone. I had held leadership
roles before, but those experiences were usually with people I already knew,
such as classmates, friends, or people from my community. IHA was different. I
had to learn how to introduce myself, participate in conversations, and work
with people I had never met before. This challenged me to become more
confident, visible, and intentional about how I presented myself. And then came
the Tribe Leader role, which brought another layer to that experience. It
wasn't just about participating anymore. I had to think about how I showed up
for other people too.
What is one moment or challenge that taught you something important?
One of my biggest discoveries was the connection between technology and
healthcare. I already knew that I wanted to combine the digital skills I was
learning with my healthcare background, but I did not know exactly what that
could look like. It was my mentor who introduced me to the idea of digital
public health. Before then, I did not even know that this was a field. That
conversation helped me put a name to a possibility I had been trying to
understand. It made me realise that my different interests did not necessarily
have to exist separately. Sometimes, you don't need someone to tell you what
career to choose. Sometimes, you simply need someone who has walked a little
further ahead to point out a possibility you didn't know existed. However,
discovering new possibilities also came with its own questions.
I began asking myself deeper questions about the
kind of career and life I actually wanted. I value flexibility, creativity, and
having time for things I enjoy, such as drawing, sewing, and sketching. There
have been moments when everything felt overwhelming and I needed to pause and
ask myself whether the direction I was considering would truly fit the life I
want to build. I have come to understand that this uncertainty does not mean I
have failed or that I have to have everything figured out immediately.
Sometimes, growth means discovering what you want, discovering what you don't
want, and being brave enough to reconsider your direction. What matters is that
I now feel more confident that I can become the person I envisioned for myself,
even if I am still figuring out exactly what that looks like.
And beyond the mentorship itself, what made the IHA experience stand out
for you?
Looking back and also forward, I am grateful for the many spaces IHA
created for us: the mentorship sessions, Tribe Leaders' meetings, caucus
meetings, and the opportunities to learn beyond the main programme materials. I
especially appreciated the young and intentional approach to mentorship and
leadership. It made the experience feel like more than a programme, it felt
like a community. And perhaps that is one of the things that make the
experience memorable. You are not just sitting through sessions and checking
boxes. You are meeting people, having conversations, asking questions,
discovering new possibilities, and sometimes seeing yourself differently in the
process.
What is one thing you would tell a woman applying for the next IHA
cohort?
Do your best and be intentional about your growth.
Do not stop at the facilitator's videos or the main resources provided.
Explore the additional resources because there is often so much more to learn.
Ask questions, show up for the meetings, and take the opportunities, even when
they make you uncomfortable. You never know which conversation, resource, or
experience might introduce you to a completely new direction. If I could start
again, I would tell myself to be more intentional from the beginning and to
take every opportunity seriously.
One thing that challenged me was keeping up with
deadlines for task submissions. I also learned to use tools within Google
Workspace, such as Docs, Sheets, and Calendar. These may sound like simple
things, but they became valuable skills for me. I was also introduced to areas
such as financial management and job searching that were beyond what I
initially expected from a mentorship programme. So, if you are considering
applying, don't just come in hoping to receive mentorship. Come ready to
participate in your own growth.
Currently, what is your biggest lesson from IHA?
My biggest lesson from Inspire Her Afrika is that you do not
have to have everything figured out before you begin. Sometimes, you
simply need to be willing to learn, step forward, and allow new experiences to
show you possibilities you could not see before. And perhaps that is what the
crown really represents. Not having all the answers, but being willing to learn
while you lead. For Fatima, the IHA journey has been about more than adding
another experience to her CV. It has been about becoming more confident in her
ability to lead, discovering new possibilities within her career, and learning
that uncertainty does not have to be the opposite of growth. Because sometimes,
the most important part of finding your direction is simply being willing to
take the next step.
And sometimes, you discover the person you are becoming while you are
busy learning how to lead.
Written by: Fatima Muhammad Bashir
Collated by: Marvelous, for the IHA Team.
No comments:
Post a Comment