Behind every story of impact at Inspire
Her Afrika are individuals who dedicate their time, creativity, and skills to
making the mission possible. From creating content to amplifying opportunities
and sharing stories that inspire action, the Communications Team plays a vital
role in connecting young African women to resources and possibilities.
In this conversation, we speak
with Abigail,
a member of the Digital Communications Team, about her journey with Inspire Her
Afrika, the lessons that have shaped her growth, and what it means to
contribute behind the scenes to a movement empowering African women.
Tell us about your first encounter with Inspire Her Afrika.
I had just graduated from university and was looking for
opportunities to strengthen my skills and gain more clarity about my career
path. That was when I came across the Digital Communications Volunteer role at
Inspire Her Afrika. I spent time exploring IHA’s blog and social media pages, learning
more about the work they were doing to empower African women. I immediately
connected with the mission and knew I wanted to contribute to something
meaningful, so I applied. What started as an opportunity to volunteer quickly
became a journey of growth, learning, and purpose.
What helped you grow?
The
healthy work environment, combined with the culture of constructive feedback
and accountability, has played a major role in my growth. There were many
things I did not realise were essential to becoming an effective professional
until I learned them while working with IHA. One of those lessons was the
importance of effective communication, both upward and downward communication.
I learned how to collaborate within a team, receive feedback openly, and
continuously improve the quality of my work. The process helped me understand
my strengths, identify areas where I could grow, and become more intentional
about how I contribute to a team.
Start Where You Are: Building an Entrepreneurial Mindset
Ready to take the first step towards building something
meaningful? In this session, we will explore what entrepreneurship truly means,
how to spot opportunities, turn ideas into action, and develop a
problem-solving mindset that can transform the way you work, lead, and create impact.
Come ready to think differently, reflect, and identify opportunities worth
pursuing: even if it starts with just an idea. Register here: https://luma.com/f15ydq55
If you could describe your IHA journey in one word, what would it be?
Growth-oriented.
As someone working behind the scenes, what has been the most rewarding part?
Being part of the Digital Communications team, the most rewarding
part has been seeing the work we create make a difference in the lives of young
African women. There is something fulfilling about knowing that a story, resource,
opportunity, or project I contributed to helped someone gain clarity, find
inspiration, or take a step closer to achieving their goals. Working behind the
scenes has reminded me that impact does not always have to happen in the
spotlight. Sometimes, it happens through the ideas we bring to life, the
stories we tell, and the platforms we help create. I see every contribution as
my small but meaningful part toward making the world a better place.
Take us behind the scenes: what does a typical workday at Inspire Her Afrika look like for you?
A regular day at Inspire Her Afrika depends on the season we're in, but
during my time as one of the Programme Coordinators (a role I later
transitioned into), my day usually started with blocking off time on my
calendar and reviewing my tasks for the day before tackling them one by
one. During the Bootcamp, for example, Mondays were often dedicated to ensuring
participants had everything they needed for the week. I would schedule
announcements on our learning platform, share a shorter version in the WhatsApp
community, and respond to participants' questions and inquiries. No two days
were exactly the same, but every day was centred on creating a smooth and
meaningful experience for the women in our programmes.
As Inspire Her Afrika celebrates three years, what are you celebrating personally?
I am celebrating the impact beyond the numbers, the women who have gone through the mentorship programme and emerged better equipped for their careers, personal growth, and lives in general. I am also celebrating the opportunity to work alongside passionate individuals who give their best to keep the IHA mission alive. Seeing the dedication, creativity, and commitment of everyone involved reminds me that meaningful change is possible when people come together around a shared vision. It affirms one thing for me: nothing is impossible for people who set their minds on a goal and put their hearts into making it happen.

No comments:
Post a Comment